When unable to access one or more shared connections or folders over the local network, many Windows users attempt to diagnose the issue by running Windows Network Diagnostics Troubleshooter.
An error message that reads “File and Print sharing resource is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts” may eventually appear to them.
Although the tool exhibits this error, most of the time users report being able to view the files via a shared local network. They are unable to connect to the local network, though. Therefore, it is crucial for you to comprehend the causes of this error and how to fix it as users.
Although Available Online, The File and Print Sharing Resource is not Responding to Connection Attempts.
The following are some typical situations that lead to the occurrence of this error:
1: Install all of the Windows Updates.
Install each Windows update that is related to Windows first. Follow the instructions below to install all the pending Windows updates:
- Launch the “Run” dialogue box.
- Press Enter after typing “ms-settings:Windowsupdate”.
- The “Windows Update” window will then open.
- Next, select the “Settings” button located on the window’s left side.
- The display will look for any unread updates. Instructions will be displayed on the screen if there are any pending updates. To install pending Windows updates, carefully follow all the instructions.
- Restart your computer after installing all the pending Windows updates to see if the issue has been fixed.
2: The Network Cannot Locate the Computer:
It can be seen that the online connection did not abruptly terminate while trying to save or print the shared resource. One of the devices on the locally shared network might not be discoverable.
To make sure that every device on the local network can be found, follow these instructions:
- To bring up the “Run” dialogue box from the home screen, press Windows + R. By clicking the Windows button on the screen, you can also find this option under the start menu.
- To access Ethernet settings, enter “ms-settings:network-Ethernet” (for Ethernet connections) in the “Run” dialogue box and press the Enter key. To open the Wi-Fi settings dialogue box, type “ms-settings:network-wifi” for Wi-Fi connections.
- Right-click on the name of the adapter you want to make discoverable in the Ethernet settings tab. For the Wi-Fi network, this step is the same.
- The Network Profile of the adapter can be accessed by performing a right-click on its name.
- In order to make your PC discoverable and to enable file and print sharing, change the profile to “Private” right away.
- Repeat the steps above on each computer in your local network to see if the problem with the File and Print sharing resource being online but not responding to connection requests has been fixed.
Try the next solution if you are still receiving the same error message.
3: The Local Area Connection is Being Blocked by Windows Firewall Software:
There are many firewall programmes and VPNs that control different incoming or outgoing connections to various IP connections. Sometimes the connection may be blocked by the firewall. The best course of action in this situation is to instruct the firewall to permit the restricted local area connection.
You must do this by making a list of allowances in the firewall software’s list manager. You might need to completely uninstall the firewall if the error, File and Print sharing resource is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts, persists. The following steps can be used to remove the software:
- Activate the Run dialogue box.
- Input appwiz.cpl and press the Enter key. This will launch the Control Panel’s Programs and Features window.
- Locate the firewall application and select “Uninstall”
- The screen will then display instructions for removing the unwanted firewall software; carefully follow them.
4: Party Firewall
Sometimes, Windows Protection’s high-security settings may become overly protective and stop the local network connection.
Lowering the security settings or uninstalling the antivirus programme may solve the problem if it was caused by overly protective antivirus software. The procedures for removing a third-party firewall are the same as those for removing the Windows firewall software previously mentioned.
5: Windows Forgetting Login Credentials:
One of the most frequent problems experienced by Windows 7 and Windows 10 users is Windows forgetting the login credentials for your system. You need to manually enter the system’s login information to permanently fix this issue. Follow these steps to manually enter your credentials:
- Activate the control panel or enter “control” in the “Run” dialogue box
- Look for the “Credential Manager” option in the control panel and select it.
- After that, select “Add Windows Credentials.”
- You will be prompted by a screen to enter the machine’s address, username, and password. Click on OK after adding this data for each network device.
- It’s time to restart your computer after entering all the necessary details about every machine. The shared files should be accessible after restarting.
6: Run a Background Check:
A connection may require one or more services to be running continuously in the background in order for it to be established. File and Print Sharing Resource is Online but Isn’t Responding to Connection Attempts will be fixed if all necessary background services are running simultaneously.
- Check to see if all of these necessary services are up and running:
- Function Discovery Provider Hosts and 1 DNS Client
- Resource Discovery Function Publication
- HomeGroup Supplier
- Listener in HomeGroup
- Networking peer groups
- SSDP Finding
- UPnP Device Host.
Perform the following to confirm:
- Type “services.msc” into the “Run” dialogue box to start it.
- The “Windows Services” screen appears. Several services will appear in a list; make sure they are all active.
- You can check whether a service is running or not by performing a right-click on each one.
Run the “Network Diagnostics Tool” to see if the error has been fixed after completing the aforementioned steps.